Monday, March 16, 2009

Monday morning musings

I thought this was kind of poetic:



And this morning's offering from The Writer's Almanac seemed rather timely, too - the last line especially hit home:


Cold Poem by Jim Harrison

A cold has put me on the fritz, said Eugene O'Neill,
how can I forget certain things?
Now I have thirteen bottles of red wine
where once I had over a thousand.
I know where they went but why should I tell?
Every day I feed the dogs and birds.
The yard is littered with bones and seed husks.
Hearts spend their entire lives in the dark,
but the dogs and birds are fond of me.
I take a shower frequently but still
women are not drawn to me in large numbers.
Perhaps they know I'm happily married
and why exhaust themselves vainly to seduce me?
I loaned hundreds of thousands of dollars
and was paid back only by two Indians.
If I had known history it was never otherwise.
This is the song of the cold when people
are themselves but less so, people
who haven't listened to my unworded advice.
I was once described as "immortal"
but this didn't include my mother who recently died.
And why go to New York after the asteroid
and the floods of polar waters, the crumbling
buildings, when you're the only one there
in 2050? Come back to earth.
Blow your nose and dwell on the shortness of life.
Lift up your dark heart and sing a song about
how time drifts past you like the gentlest, almost
imperceptible breeze.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Jim Harrison is a Michigan man and an aware and courageous companion for all travels "Into the Wild". I met him a few times, years ago, and had a 'Dark Beer Conversation" with him once that changed my thinking about the value of NOT taking real risks with my time and life. He's a character and a half, and a wonderful writer to boot!

Ricky said...

Wait... what exactly IS the value of not taking real risks with one's time and life, again? I mean besides finding yourself at the end of your life broke, crazy, and alone? Or worse, seeing your children miserable, enslaved, or imprisoned? Care to elaborate with a short synopsis of that Dark Beer Conversation? (Speaking of, I missed those for too large a portion of my life. By my sights I'd say it's exceedingly risky NOT to have at least one a month!)

And please, if it comes down to one of those Oh sure... NOW you tell me!s, break it to me gentle?

Joe Jubinville said...

"Blow your nose and dwell on the shortness of life."

Heh, yeah. I'm an old man now. I miss my life, so endearing in retrospect, despite its black sins, infinite it seems, but gone, gone gone. Nobody wrote it down.

There's a chapel at the Beach, Rickster. A prayer place. Come and sing.

Ricky said...

I'm there. Thanks for the invite!

Ricky said...

Oh my! I'm liking Jim Harrison. A lot.

Writer's Almanac had yet another of his poems today (Good Friday):

Before the Trip

When old people travel, it's for relief
from a life that they know too well,
not routine but the very long slope
of disbelief in routine, the unbearable
lightness of brushing teeth that aren't all
there, the weakened voice calling out
for the waiter who doesn't turn;
the drink that once was neither here
nor there is now a singular act of worship.
The sun that rises every day says
I don't care to the torments of love
and hate that once pushed one back
and forth on the blood's red wagon.
All dogs have become beautiful
in the way they look at cats and wonder
what to do. Breakfast is an event
and bird flu only a joke of fear the world
keeps playing. On the morning walk
the horizon is ours when we wish.
We know that death is a miracle for everyone
or so the gods say in a whisper of rain
in the immense garden we couldn't quite trace.

From "Before the Trip" by Jim Harrison from Saving Daylight. © Copper Canyon Press, 2006